Sunday, April 3, 2011

True Confessions of a 21st Century Wife/Mother

Here it is...

I am a feminist AND a June Cleaver wannabe. "How can that BE?!" you ask yourself.

 
Here's the deal. While I choose to stay home with my children, despite having a post-graduate degree, I acknowledge that some mothers want to work. I support women's decisions and believe in the overall equality of women. Though I believe God made men and women very different, I don't believe that means women are 'less than' men.

On the other hand, I have a nearly overwhelming desire to be June Cleaver. Yes, I know she's a fictitious character from an idealized age. Got that. Yet I still long to vacuum in a dress and heels, ready to greet my DH with a kiss, and have hot cookies for the children after school.

All in all, I suppose I struggle with where God has me. I love studying and teaching about successful communication. I also love being an at-home wife and mom. I am one of those rare people who enjoys cleaning, cooking, and baking. No, my home does not always reflect the first, though! LOL

What does this have to do with family communication? Just about everything! First, it drives home the idea that all families are different. God may call me back to work sometime. And if that's the case, I'll go happily...and sadly. And no matter what, all those feelings will be reflected in how I communicate with my family. The challenge will be in identifying my myriad emotions so I can communicate with love despite my mixed feelings.

Thanks for reading through my thoughts. I hope that my experience can help someone else who feels like a walking contradiction, too!

Happy Communicating!
Andrea

3 comments:

  1. Great post!
    I think so many Christian women struggle with this.. unfortunately what the world has told women is that being a stay at home mom IS NOT a job.. which is my opinion.. is a whole bunch of phooey..
    That's why I like to call myself a Domestic Engineer. :-)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, NSPH! You raise a great point. I agree that it's a bunch of phooey!
    Have a great week~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important job in the world: Raising the next generation. However, the next generation goes to school, piano lessons, scouts, etc.--and the mom has a bit of free time here and there to address a calling that may bear no relationship to mothering. Whether or not she is paid for that calling, I respect women who juggle and manage multiple goals and careers. It's like raising twins, not for the faint of heart! :-) Oh and BTW, I've think ALL talented mothers, regardless of their faith or religiosity, struggle with these issues.

    ReplyDelete