Monday, October 17, 2011

Lessons in Truth: Time Away

When I wake up in the morning, I stay in bed for a few minutes and read a few verses in my Bible. It's a great way to peacefully begin my day. Before I begin, I pray that God will give me something to ponder throughout my day. Most days he does.

Right now I'm reading through the book of Mark. If you aren't familiar with it, this is one of the four books that speaks directly to Jesus's life and ministry.



Today I read about him feeding 5,000 people with five loaves of bread and two fish as well as him walking on water. Both these events happened with his 12 disciples. Between those two events, however, is something very relevant for our families.

Jesus's disciples were among his closest friends. They were like his family. He taught them specifically and loved them. They walked miles and miles healing and learning with Jesus.

After they all fed the multitude, Jesus sent the disciples away to take their boat to the other side of the Sea of Galilee. Jesus then sent the thousands of people away. Mark 6:46 says: "And when He had sent them away, He departed to the mountain to pray. Now when evening came, the boat was in the middle of the sea; and He was alone on the land." Jesus then proceeds to walk on water to his disciples in the boat.

The key for me today is that Jesus sent his loved ones away so he could could be alone and pray. He rejuvenated by being alone with God.

So many days, I feel guilty if I send my kids into their room so I can have a few minutes to pray and be quiet or read my Bible. Yet, Jesus sets a wonderful example for us. He doesn't send the 12 away because He doesn't want to be with them or because he doesn't like them. He sends them because he loves them AND needs time alone. That time alone can be so valuable.

So today, I encourage you to make time to be alone. Send the kids to their rooms to play and you take a few minutes to read a Bible, pray, or simply be quiet with the day. I think that like Jesus we will feel ready to do amazing things with the rest of our day!

Happy Communicating,
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment