Friday, October 17, 2014

Where Do a Fool's Lips Walk?





After beginning this week in the book of Proverbs, I decided to camp out here for the week. Proverbs is filled with simple, realistic advice about how to handle our relationships. While some people advocate reading one chapter for each day of the month (there are 31 chapters), I find that too much to chew at one time. I prefer to dig into just a few verses at a time to really implement the lessons. 

Today's lesson is about fools. I know, WE aren't fools. But we certainly know who ARE!

So, whether the fool is US or THEM, Solomon tell us that, 
"A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating." (Proverbs 18:6)

In this case a fool refers to unwise or ungodly people. These wise or ungodly people are quick to quarrel. 

I don't know about you, but I never intend to let my foolish lips walk into an argument. Yet, I consistently jump to being defensive, instead of listening first. I assume that friends and loved ones might be insulting me instead of seeking to understand their perspective first (Proverbs 4:7). 
My experience tells me that when my foolish lips walk into a fight, the consequences are not pleasant. While those consequences don't lead to beatings in my life, they do lead to damaged relationships. In many ways, when I speak foolishly, my relationship is the one to suffer the beating. There are far too many people who want to see our families fall apart. We shouldn't be sabotaging them from within.

In light of this knowledge, today I'm in prayer to understand my loved ones and implement another wonderful Proverb: 
"Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips." (Proverbs 141:3)

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment