Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Apples of Gold in Settings of Silver

      Many years ago, I became interested in studying how families can talk with each other to be happier, peaceful, and more productive. After formal schooling, this study led me back to the Bible. What does the Bible say about how we can have happier, more fulfilling family relationships?

One of the first verses that leapt out for me was Proverbs 25:11 - “A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.” King Solomon, the author of this proverb, tells us in Proverbs 8:19 that silver and gold are the fruit of wisdom. If a word is “aptly spoken,” it happens at just the right time and circumstance. So here we learn that saying the right thing at the right time is very wise. 


      I find these opportunities come when I least want them, however…when it’s late and a child has worked very hard on homework for hours, yet I want to push her to the shower instead of taking a moment to praise her perseverance. . .  when my child responds with joy instead of frustration to his younger sibling’s fit throwing and I'm tempted to only address the fit and not the wise response. 

     The examples are everywhere in our lives. Proverbs 25:11 reminds us to take that extra second to praise what is good about our spouse and children. 


How can you incorporate Proverbs 25:11 into your family this October? 

No comments:

Post a Comment